Common Hazardous Materials in Veterinary Facilities
The VetCA website will help you find detailed information
on the following types of hazardous materials:
For each material type, the website provides a summary page
- Properties of the material, with particular emphasis
on the properties that are important for the function it serves
- Risks associated with the material
- Compliance requirements that follow from regulations
applying to the material
- Opportunities that have been identified for eliminating
the material or replacing it with less hazardous alternatives
- Links to more detailed resources
Veterinary facilities generally use a hazardous material
for one of three reasons:
- It is serving a vital function, and no other material
- There may be less hazardous alternatives, but the trade-offs
have been carefully considered and the hazardous material has been provisionally
selected because it provides crucial advantages.
- We've always done it this way.
The summary pages are intended to help you identify those cases in your facility for which reason #3 applies and which may need reconsideration.