Veterinary Compliance Assistance


Carcass Disposal State Regulations


Depending on circumstances, large animal carcass disposal may be regulated by a state's solid waste, medical waste, agriculture, or emergency management regulations. If your state does not provide specific guidance or regulations relating to large animal carcass disposal, check with your local health department, or city/county laws and ordinances.

In addition, during emergency situations and disasters (e.g., blizzards, floods, hurricanes, mass die-offs, etc.), consult with your local emergency officials, your state emergency planning agency, or the state veterinarian, to determine approved methods of carcass disposal.

Applicable Agencies and Regulations for Oklahoma

Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry (ODAFF)

Address: 2800 N. Lincoln Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Rules and Regulations: Agricultural Environmental Management Services (AEMS) - Carcass Disposal. There are links for animal and poultry carcass disposal options, a list of municipal landfills that accept carcasses, and portions of the Oklahoma Statutes that pertain to carcass disposal.

More Information

Proper Disposal of Routine and Catastrophic Livestock and Poultry Mortality (Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension Service, 2009).Discusses proper management of on-farm animal mortalities. Disposal options addressed:

  • Rendering: Gives a website to find a current list of available rendering services.

  • Landfilling: Licensed landfill.

  • Burial: Lists 2009 burial guidelines.

  • Burning: An air quality permit may be required.

  • Composting: Gives online resources for composting livestock carcasses.

The Cornell Waste Management Institute (CWMI) maintains a database of carcass disposal state regulations promulgated by state environmental, agricultural and other agencies. There may be additional information on this site, not found on VetCA, that can be helpful to veterinarians, ranchers and farmers. Click here to access the CWMI information for Oklahoma.

Choose another state

VetCA Home