Veterinary Compliance Assistance


Carcass Disposal State Regulations


Depending on circumstances, large animal carcass disposal may be regulated by a state's solid waste, medical waste, agriculture, or emergency management regulations. If your state does not provide specific guidance or regulations relating to large animal carcass disposal, check with your local health department, or city/county laws and ordinances.

In addition, during emergency situations and disasters (e.g., blizzards, floods, hurricanes, mass die-offs, etc.), consult with your local emergency officials, your state emergency planning agency, or the state veterinarian, to determine approved methods of carcass disposal.

Applicable Agencies and Regulations for Vermont

Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation Waste Management Division

Address: 103 S. Main St, Waterbury, VT 05671

Rules and Regulations: Solid Waste Management Procedures: Procedure Addressing Disposal of Dead Animals. Gives options for disposal of animal carcasses. Disposal options addressed:

  • Landfilling: At certified solid waste disposal facility.

  • Burial: In an approved animal disposal pit as outlined in the procedure, burial on owner's property for fewer than 5 animals.

  • Other Methods: Other solid waste treatment processes as approved by the Secretary

More Information

Healthy Farms - Healthy Agriculture: Disposal of Dead Animals (Vermont Extension, University of Vermont, 2004). Gives disposal options and information on composting. Disposal options addressed:

  • Rendering: Licensed collector.

  • Burial: In an approved animal disposal pit.

  • Burning: Incineration allowed.

  • Composting: Allowed

The Cornell Waste Management Institute (CWMI) maintains a database of carcass disposal state regulations promulgated by state environmental, agricultural and other agencies. There may be additional information on this site, not found on VetCA, that can be helpful to veterinarians, ranchers and farmers. Click here to access the CWMI information for Vermont.

Choose another state

VetCA Home